Monday, January 9, 2012

SELF-CONTROL

In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely - Titus 2:6

     I am drinking a pop!  It's 6:45 and this will be the last pop I drink today - it's a matter of self-control.  
     Yesterday at church I taught the kids about Proverbs 28:25 which says something about if a person lacks self-control they are like a city with a broken down wall (wow, I should remember exactly what it says).  Basically, it's saying you can get attacked if you lack - self-control of course!  So, I challenged the kids to think of one thing they could do to show self-control, and then ask God to help them.
     Guess what Tony Dungee talked about today?  Self-control (actually, I was supposed to read it yesterday, but I forgot).  He talked about how a lot of young men today lack that ability, and I agree.  I notice a lot of people who can't control themselves.  They have a lot of excuses, a lot of labels, a lot of reasons why, but really it comes down to self-control.
     But, what's more disturbing is that I notice I am becoming one of those people.   That's why I'm drinking this pop.  Hopefully, it will lead me toward more self-control and more reliance on the one who put it in the Bible.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't tell you this yesterday, but as a young student our report cards included a few behavioral comments and you either displayed them or you didn't. You got a check if you needed to improve on them. One such behavioral statement said Shows Self-Control - guess who always got a check - ME!!! Go figure that I am still working on this today. I desperately want to show my kids my self control, in hopes that they too can apply it in their lives. I heard a quote today that went something like this...Listen to God's whispers before you shout to the world....
    Ms. Jen

    ReplyDelete