Tuesday, January 10, 2012

HOW GOOD A FRIEND ARE YOU?

After David had finished talking with Saul, he met Jonathon, the King's son.  There was an immediate bond between them, for Jonathon loved David. 1 Samuel 18:1

     I was reading the start of Tony Dungee's book - you know the part where it tells you "how to use this book."  I know, I know, nobody reads that, but I had some free time.  Anyway, he seperates his book into 7 themes - I guess the 7 things he thinks are most important.  They are things like Family, Potential, Faith, etc.  Well, while I'm reading this I actually think to myself, "I hope he doesn't have friends on that list."  I remember the thought popping into my head hoping that friendship wasn't that big a deal.
      Why?  BECAUSE I STINK AT IT!  Even as I was walking out of the gym this morning, I noticed that I made the choice to not even say "Bye" to the guy at the counter.  Instead, I put on my headphones and walked right by.  I do that a lot.  I just walk right by people.  I don't stop by people's rooms at school.  I don't call people just to talk.  I don't go "hang out." 
       Part of it is that I'm focused on work and stuff I do.  Part of it is self-esteem stuff.  Part of it is people sometimes bug me.  There's a lot that goes into it, but I'm just not that good of a friend, and it's really not that big a deal to me.
     But, I think Tony Dungee is on to something.  It's a big deal to him, and it's a big deal to God - especially how you can build up the people around you.  So, maybe I don't need to be Norm from Cheers, but it is possible that I might be more open to how God would want to use me in other people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment