Thursday, November 10, 2011

DO WE REALLY WANT MORE RESPONSIBILITY?

If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones." - Luke 16:10

     I use this verse a lot.  I like to do the little things well - pick up garbage on the street.  Treat the check-out people with respect.  Truly listen when people come to talk to me.  Partly I do it because it's the right thing to do, and partly I've always kind of had this verse in mind.  If I do the little things well, when God gives me the big things I'll do great with them too.
      But, what if I don't want the big things?  What if I am happy enough just leading an average, normal everyday life with no stress, no pressure, no tough decisions and no hard work?  It struck me that this verse comes right after Jesus talks about the shrewd manager who cuts everyone's bill in half.
      Do you think He was trying to see how smart we were - If you don't do the little things very well, then you won't have to worry about the real challenging stuff?  So, if we slack off then we can live the American dream of relaxation, enjoyment and freedom?
     Do I really want the bigger things?  Do I have the passion and drive to do the really great stuff?  Do I even want the stress?  Those are good questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment