Tuesday, November 15, 2011

DID JESUS THINK SLAVERY WAS O.K.?

When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, dos his master say, "Come in and at with me?"  No, he says, "Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat.  Then you can eat later." And does the master thank the serant for doing what he was told to do?  Of course not.  In the same way, when you obey me you should say, "We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty." - Luke 17:7-10

     I just had a goofy thought!  Slavery was o.k. 
     For 14,780 or so days (yes, I did just calculate how many days I've been alive), I've thought about the ills of slavery.  Restricting of freedom, denial of opportunity, loss of respect. 
     But, isn't that what Jesus is asking us to do?  Isn't He asking us to become a slave. We give up our rights, give up our freedom, give up our opportunity....SO THAT WE CAN BE FOCUSED ON GIVING OTHERS THOSE THINGS.
     This is just me thinking out loud (or actually quietly since I'm only typing), but maybe this is why Jesus didn't speak out about slavery.  Maybe He thought slaves were actually ahead of the game.
      Do I think anyone should be forced into slavery? NO!  Do I think people should willingly become slaves? YES! 

No comments:

Post a Comment