Tuesday, April 15, 2014

THE SUN STOPPED SHINING

     I'm going to take a little break from Daniel Plan talk; although I am down to 165 and have started taking shots of vinegar every morning (don't ask!).  But, today I read something that kind of shocked me.
     For Holy Week, I'm reading from the Last Supper to Jesus' death.  No matter how many times I read that part of the Bible, it grips me.  So many things involved, the complexity and beauty of it all, and what it teaches us about life - fascinating.
      And I love it when you're reading a story from the Bible that you've read hundreds of times, but something new comes out of it.  Just when you think you know it all....
      THE SUN STOPPED SHINING!
      That's what the author of Luke says.  It stopped shining at noon and didn't come back on until 3.  Now, I don't know if he was just using hyperbole.  Maybe it got a little cloudy.  But, this is God.  This is His Son dying.  Turning the sun off for the Son - not too far-fetched!
       I'm just trying to picture that.  You are sitting in a Jerusalem, tending the sheep, and blackout!  People are walking along a Galilee road and instantly can't see the person they're talking to.  Imagine that happening today with all our lights and ways to overcome darkness, but in Jesus' time.
       And if you think about it in spiritual terms - that was the only time in the history of the world that the sun stopped shining, both s-u-n and S-o-n.
       Don't you think every person that saw what was going on was changed?  Can you imagine something like that happening and saying, "Yeah, He wasn't really God's Son."?
      I'm just trying to think what I would have done if I saw the sun stop shining and then found out it was at exactly the same time as Jesus' death.  Good question!

No comments:

Post a Comment