Monday, April 28, 2014

#30KIDSIN40DAYS

     It started out as a little personal catch phrase!  I lost almost 30 pounds in 40 days, why not try to get 30 kids sponsored in the next 40 days?  There was no way I'd actually be able to do that, but it sounded nice.
     THEN I WENT TO THE COMPASSION CONFERENCE!

      I talked with a girl (and in no way had any impact whatsoever in her sponsoring a kid, but she did and I had talked to her in the previous 30 minutes to the sponsoring, so I'll take it!)  That's one!
     We had Small Group last night.  Now, I hate asking people to give up their money for anything.  But, then I thought, "This changes a kid's life!  I'm doing it!"  I gave them all a kid, said, "Put it on your fridge for a day and ask God what He'd want you do to."
      I'm going back tonight to pick up any kids that aren't sponsored - I've already gotten an email.  "We're keeping ours!"  That's two!  And a possible 6.
      I've got some friends who have churches, I've got some teachers who are just throwing away $38 every month.  I've got people in Lombard, and I know their addresses.  How great would it be to really change the lives of 30 kids?
      After you hear the stories of kid after kid and sponsor after sponsor who had their life changed by $38 a month - it makes a whole lot of sense to keep going.  So, I'm going to!  Here's what I put in the email last night to the Small Group, "I may not be able to end world poverty, but I can for this kid!"
       For now, that's my montra.  I'm like the George Schindler of Compassion (not really sure what that Schindler's guy name is, but I still remember him talking about how he could have sold his watch to save more Jewish people).  OK, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.  Heck, it's only been two kids, but it's good to have goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment