Thursday, April 10, 2014

KALE SALAD.....I SAID, "KALE SALAD!"

      Went out to lunch with Mawi (name dropper - can you call yourself a name dropper?) yesterday, and it came time for me to order.  These were my exact words, "I can't believe I'm going to say this, but Kale and Apple salad."
       This was right after Mawi asked if I had ever been there, and I said, "I'm more of a McDonalds or Culver's guy.  If you want recommendations for something on the menu, you may be asking the wrong guy."
       Here's the thing though.  I ordered it.  I liked it.  No regrets!  People around me were ordering Cokes, sandwiches, but I stayed with Kale salad and water.   And I was happy with it!
       I think the Daniel Plan is a lot easier when life is going good.
      A little backstory.  Mawi is this inspirational speaker who went from Sudan refugee to graduating top in his class at Harvard.  He does a lot of work with motivating students.  So, there's a lunch with him, his partner, the assistant superintendent, our principal........and me (one of these things is not like the other!)
      Obviously, I'm blown away at even getting invited!  Life is good!
      A day after I find out about this lunch, the Superintendent wants to talk to me.  Uh-oh, what did I do?  No, he pulls me out into the hall to ask if I'd like to be on the committee to help choose the new Assistant Superintendent.  I tell him that there are a lot of other people who would be better options, but he presses on, and now I'm helping select the second in charge.
      I go from dumbest tech coach in the district to meeting with Mawi and helping select the Assistant Sup.  When things like that are happening, it doesn't matter what you eat.  Life makes you full.  Satisfaction doesn't come from a 44 ounce cup or McDonalds Dollar Menu.
      As I continue to tie in the Daniel Plan to things that are probably totally unrelated, I have to wonder this, "Is this newfound respect in the district tied into the fact that I'm eating healthy?"  Is ordering Kale salad and being happy about it, the cause or effect?

No comments:

Post a Comment