Saturday, May 21, 2011

RULE #6 - ASK A QUESTION?

"After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.  Everyone who heard him was amazed at this understanding and his answers." - Luke 2:46-47
READ LUKE 2:41-52 TODAY

     We're sitting in McDonalds this morning (Yes, if you would like to join us and talk about this stuff, we meet every Saturday!) talking about these two verses.  We both decide that it would have been very cool to hear what Jesus was asking.  I try to get a picture in my mind of Jesus sitting with these religious leaders and asking questions.  What type of questions?  Were his questions ones that would lead to learning?  And why, if He's just listening and asking questions, are they amazed at his understanding and answers.
     We decide (ok, maybe it was just me!) that a lot of learning comes as the result of a great question.  So, as we look at how to treat people, maybe one thing we could do is focus more on asking great questions than giving great answers.  Maybe instead of thinking how we are going to impress people with our awesome knowledge, we can think about how our questions could lead them into understanding the truth.
     Jesus did this a lot.  He asked great questions.....and people got it!  That's why I am challenging myself to ask 10 great questions every day - trying to train my brain to think question first, statement later!  I'm going to tally them and check myself every day.
      Now, I know what you're saying, "I wish I would have been at McDonalds and heard this incredible conversation."   Well, you can!  Every Saturday at 7am - it's talking time, and we end with a Challenge!  Just make sure if you are there to not ask Mike how his time in the Army was.

No comments:

Post a Comment