Tuesday, May 3, 2011

OPENING DAY SAMPLER!

"As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus gave them orders not to tell anyone what they had seen until the Son of Man had risen from the dead." - Mark 9:9

     The much anticipated (ok, I'm not really sure who anticipated it, but someone had to) new blog from Tony Melton is here.  I used to do stuff at www.rockonfootball.com, but realized you can't mix football and God stuff.  There are just not that many people interested in both.  So, now we have two blogs - one dedicated to football, and one dedicated to my random thoughts on living out Jesus's Life To The Full!  (Guess which one this is!)
       So, here's a sample of what you'd find at www.tonyhoby.blogspot.com!

     Isn't it weird that Jesus spent a good portion of the time during his ministry telling people not to say anything about Him, and we spend a lot of time in church learning about how to tell other people about Jesus? 
     Do you think there's anything to that?  Do you think Jesus might have been teaching his disciples to lead with your actions before you open your mouth?  Do you think Jesus was very aware of people's perceptions and wanted to make sure that they saw God's power in action before any teaching was done?  Is it even possible that today Jesus might caution us, "Don't tell anyone what you've seen"?
      Honestly, I'm trying to think of a time when Jesus specifically commanded us to tell other people about Him!  I'm sure there is one, but I may need your help on this one.  Obviously, he taught about God and His kingdom, and told us to make disciples - but actually telling others about Him?
      Hmmm, when I first started thinking about this, my thoughts were "You're goofy, of course Jesus wants us to tell others about Him!"  However, as I write more and more, I'm starting to think there may be something to this, "Ordering Not To Tell Anyone What They've Seen" theory. 
       I better stop writing or I might set back thousands of years of church work, so I'll just ask this: Is it possible that living LIFE TO THE FULL has more to do with living like Jesus and less to do with telling others about Jesus?  Interesting!




1 comment: