Saturday, May 7, 2011

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.  - Genesis 1:27

     So, if God created both male and female in His image, that would mean that He's got a little man and woman in Him.  (Funny, I just made the point that God has a little woman in HIm and used the male pronoun three times in the same sentence.)  Now, let's not get off on a feministic tangent or turn this into a dude vs chick fight, but even though Jesus called Him (maybe I should use "Her") Father, isn't God also our mother?  If not, who is - from a spiritual standpoint?  Some people would say Mary, but I don't even think Mary would say Mary.  I bet Mary would say God.  He's (sorry, I tried to type "she" but it just felt weird) Father and Mother. 
     Every Father's Day I make it a point to spend a little extra time with my Heavenly Father and say "Happy Father's Day" to God.  This year it made sense that I'd say Happy Mother's Day too.  As I thought more and more about it, the God I know fills a lot of the roles the traditional mother does.  In fact, to me, God may have more characteristics of a stereotypical mom than of a stereotypical dad.  That's probably just me.
     But, I don't think we get an accurate picture of God if we just think of Him as father - if we just think of Him as Him.  He created us - all of us, male and female - in His image.  He really is our Father, but he really is also our Mother.  He's the great parent!  And doesn't that make the whole "they shall become one flesh" thing totally understandable?  For us to be Godly parents, we have to use both the mother and father side. 
       OK, enough of that.  How about if I just tell you why my wife is such a great mom?  She'd kill me if I did that - but just know that I am very thankful that God has put us together to raise these two wonderful girls!  We may not be the best parents in the world, but I think we're a great match and there isn't anyone else in the world I'd rather partner with in this awesome challenge.  Great job Weez!  Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment