Saturday, May 28, 2011

RULE #12: STAY FOCUSED ON THE MISSION!

At daybreak Jesus went out to a solitary place.  The people were looking for him and when they came to where he was, they tried to keep him from leaving them.  But he said, "I must preach the good news of the kingdom of God to the other towns also, because that is why I was sent." - Luke 4:42-43
READ LUKE 4:42-44

     I remember a few times when I'm supposed to meet someone or be somewhere and my daughters have talked me into doing something else.  I remember a few times when I'm supposed to plan something or get materials for a presentation, but I've been talked into hanging out with a buddy for a little bit longer.  I remember when I've really felt God wanted me to do something, but I let a family member talk me into doing something else.
    Jesus had a mission.  That mission was to preach the good news to other towns!  Even though the people wanted him to stay, He knew that He needed to be somewhere else. 
    Those are the tough ones.  When people are loving you, you're a rock star and everyone wants you to hang out longer.  You're feeling great about yourself, you love the attention, but you know that there is something else you're supposed to do.
     It's tricky too; because sometimes God wants you to forego other plans to be present in the moment.  Sometimes God is calling you to be in the exact place where the people want you to stay.  But, sometimes He wants you to move on.
     I guess if we're really going to treat people the way Jesus treated them, we can't let other people determine our mission.  That has to come from the Father himself. 
     Yesterday, we talked about how focused Jesus was on the mission.  Today, we are making sure that the mission comes from God and not from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment