Saturday, December 3, 2011

HEY, THIS IS WHERE THEY GOT CHRISTMAS CAROL FROM!

"I will give half my wealth to the poor, Lord, and if I have cheated people on their taxes, I will give them back four times as much!" - Luke 19:8

     I was just doing some research on A Christmas Carol.  This should have been obvious, but Charles Dickens was originally was going to write an expository essay on the evils of the greedy not sharing in the face of extreme poverty during the 1600's in London.  Instead, he wrote this story.
     Scrooge represented the many wealthy people who lived comfortably while many others struggled even to put food on the table - literally!  In fact, you might say he robbed. cheated and disgraced many people for the love of money.
     Rewind 1500 years or so!  Zaccheus rips people off as a tax collector.  When he meets Jesus he decides to give all that money back and take some more and help the poor. 
     Hmmmm!  I wonder where Charles Dickens got his idea from!
     I've got an idea.  We should all read A Christmas Carol before December 25th (I just say that because 1/2 of my clas is reading it, so I have to anyway!)

No comments:

Post a Comment