Monday, February 24, 2014

WAS LOVIE SMITH A GOOD COACH?

     OK, I know it's been a year, but I've got a point here so stay with me.
     Lovie Smith was fired because he didn't win enough games, or to put it more succinctly, he didn't win enough games to get into the playoffs.  So, does that make him a bad coach? **** His players respected the heck out of him.  I would venture to say that you couldn't find another team in the NFL that played as hard for their coach.  His teams were constantly competitive.  Although he didn't make the playoffs for five straight years, the Bears were mostly in the hunt and when he was fired the team went 10-6.  There were some issues with the media and not being a great "face of the franchise."  So, was he a good coach?
      I guess it depends on what fruit you are looking at!  What is the fruit that really matters to you?
      I got to thinking about fruit this morning.  All this stuff we do in life, how do we know what's right and what's wrong.  Easy - just look at the fruit!  What are the things that are happening because of the way you live?
      But, then I went a little deeper.  There's a lot of fruit to look at.  In the Christian world it could be how many people have asked Christ into their lives, or feeding the poor, or being a great neighbor, or teaching other's about God's kingdom.  I started to look at my life and realized I'm not really sure which fruit I should be judging it on.
      What are the things that God really cares about?
      I'm guessing bringing people into a relationship with Him would be tops.  There would also be the "thy kingdom come on earth as it is in heaven" stuff.  And loving your neighbor would be big too.
      You know what?  I'm going to choose those three, and I'm going to say that in two of the three there's some pretty good fruit.  And if I won 66% of my games as a coach it would put me right in the Lovie Smith range.  What does that mean?

***** I think Lovie Smith is a good coach because of the relationship he had with his players.  He got the most out of them and put them ahead of anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment