Monday, July 4, 2011

AND NOW TIME FOR A COMMERCIAL BREAK....

And no one after drinking ld wine wants the new for he says, "The old is better." - Luke 5:39
READ LUKE 5:36-39 TODAY

     OK, so we're supposed to be looking at how to treat people - forget that (at least for a day!).  This bible verse always bugs me.  Old wine, new wine, patches, "the old is better."  What the?
     So, I busted out the iPAD today and did some research.  And I think I've come up with a meaning that I like.  The Pharisees are really getting their undies in a bunch over who Jesus picked as his disciples (read a little before this parable).  Jesus justifies his choice by using this.  You can't teach someone who's already learned the wrong way.  You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
      See, the Pharisee's disciples were trained in the way of the Pharisees.  If Jesus would have chose those guys for His disciples they would have said, "Jesus, you're crazy!"  But, Jesus went to the fisherman and tax collectors - people who had no religious training so that they would not have any bad habits.
     I was talking to a Quarterbacks coach this week.  He said that his ten year-old daughter was easier to teach than his high school players.  She had never developed "wrong ways" to throw a football.  She was COACHABLE!
     That's the take home - ARE WE COACHABLE or have we learned so much of the wrong stuff that we are like the guy who says, "I'm good - I've got it down!"  Because no one after drinking the old wine wants the new.  They say the old is better.
  
     That's my take, what's yours?  Read this passage and let me know!

Booooyahh!

No comments:

Post a Comment