Tuesday, January 17, 2017

WANT A BETTER LIFE? TRY HUMILITY

     So, I was just in the paper....again!  That's the second time in a couple of months - no big deal!  OK, maybe it is a big deal.  Maybe it's what I really crave - attention, recognition, a sense that I'm important.  Heck, maybe that's what we all crave.  And there's nothing wrong with that....until there is!
     The thing I catch myself doing is seeking after that attention or getting disappointed when I don't get the recognition I "deserve."  I spend a lot of time trying to "impress" people (not sure why I added the quotes there!).  The problem with that is, one, I don't do much that is all that great, and, two, even if I do, you can't count on people to notice.
     Here's what I've found.  It's a lot better to try and recognize others, give others attention, make others feel important.  There's a lot less pressure to be perfect, and in this crazy Jesus kind of world, it actually feels better to give other people praise than to get it yourself.
     But, that's a hard thing to do.  Our natural inclination is to want praise.  To want to be important.  To want to be known.  Again, not bad things.  But, it seems like when we focus on doing those things for others, our lives become a whole lot better!
     Want a better life? Try humility!

No comments:

Post a Comment