Saturday, January 28, 2017

WANT A BETTER LIFE? STAND UP!

     I was watching Bill Burr yesterday, and he was talking about being married.  He was saying how he had to pick his battles, but there was no way he was going to sleep downstairs.  "What man does that," he said, "Um, ok, I'll go do what you want. Where do you want me to sleep - in this corner or over here?"
     "No!' he said.  "First of all, I'm stronger than you.  Second, this is my bed.  You're mad - you go sleep downstairs.  Third, I can't set a precedent.  Every time you want something, I'm just going to give in."  So, that's his thing.
     Not sure I'm with him on everything about that situation, or his overall marital advice, but I do believe he has a good point.  There are times in your life that you just have to put your foot down.  No matter who or how many people are against you - it's time to Stand Up and make the decision that's right.
     Every time I read the story of Jesus being crucified, Pilate's decisions fascinate me.  If he would have only stood up the first time, Jesus would have gone free.    He knew what the right thing to do was - he even told the crowd that Jesus was innocent and he was going to set him free.  But, instead he puts the decision off on another person.  Then, that person (Herod), sends him back, so he's got another chance. Again, he knows the right thing to do.  He tells the crowd, "This Guy has done nothing."  But, they don't share his opinion, so, for the second time, he let's someone else tell him what he should do.
     You want a better life? Stand up for what is right!  No matter who disagrees with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment