Tuesday, January 24, 2017

WANT A BETTER LIFE? SUCK IT UP!

     I forget who it was, but somebody once said, "Do the hard stuff first."  He was saying that when you organize your day, you should put all the difficult things you have to do at the top of your list so that you can get them out of the way.  And, to me, that makes a whole lot of sense, except for I have a better way....
     Don't put the hard stuff at the top of your list, don't put it on the bottom of your list, just forget the hard stuff.  Don't do it.  Too hard, why worry about it.  That's pretty much how I usually handle anything remotely difficult that I have to do.  Sometimes I'll come up with mental reasons why I should ditch it, but mostly I just dismiss the hard stuff from my mind right away.
      Speaking from experience, this is not a great idea.  One, the hard stuff usually doesn't just go away.  That same issue I'm ditching today is still there tomorrow.  Two, every time I don't do something hard, it takes my Courage Points and drops them down one.  I get less and less likely to do the hard stuff next time.  Which, three, leads me into the "I am a wuss" frame of mind.  I get down on myself for not being strong enough, courageous enough, tough enough to do what I know I should do.
     It's just better to do the hard stuff - better for us, better for others, better for the world.  So, you want a better life?  Suck it up and do the hard stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment