Tuesday, May 9, 2017

JAMES 1:1-12

I guess trials can come in many forms.  I usually think of them as like death in the family, lose a job, get beaten in the fantasy football playoffs.  Events, specific moments, things you can mark on a calendar.  But, as I listened today, I thought about just being in a bad place - a down time.  My trials these days seem more times of boredom or lack of enthusiasm.  Right now, my biggest struggles are that I really don't have passion for anything, and the things I think about doing, I find some reason not to.  I fill up my time with watching shows or sports or reading or things that really don't have any significance.  And I give up things like family, helping the poor, teaching.
     I guess I could get down on myself for those things, or I could look at this as a time of trials - a time when God is helping me become more like Him.  Maybe you are trying to teach me that I can't earn your love, that it's not about what I'm doing but who I am.  Maybe I need to go through this time when I'm not doing anything great (and don't even want to) to help me realize that I don't have to do anything great.  Maybe these trials are a reminder that my life can be best lived by being like you in normal, everyday circumstances.
     Has my family, my job, my volunteering driven the life out of me - I don't think so.  It's just a time I'm going through, a time of trial perhaps, that is helping me become more like you.  As I think about it, I probably am more like you during these times.....ok, that's wrong.  But, I do feel like I could use a little toning down on the inappropriate stuff, on the unhealthy habits.  What am  I even talking about right now?
    I guess it's becoming the Tony Melton you created me to be.  I've strayed a bit from that.  I'm more of a positive leader than I've become.  I'm more determined, more focused.  OK, maybe that's not true either.  Maybe I should ask You - maybe even spend more time with You and let You lead me to whoever it is You want me to become.  Let's do that!  Let me take whatever comes and let You guide me in it!
     Today, can you help all the race stuff get done, and help Sof and the others who tried out grow from whatever happens.  Also, if by some miracle, you could have Grace do great on the AP test because I really struggle with what is the right thing there.
    Thanks for this time.  It's been good!

No comments:

Post a Comment