Thursday, May 18, 2017

James 3:13-18

Meekness?  Do I have that?  I think I did at one point, but maybe it's slowly eroded away.  I think a valid critique of my personality is that I do things for the glory - always have.  I've always wanted people to notice me, people to praise me, to be the guy that was better than everyone else.  But, it's not really about that.  I should be my best and I should do things that are great, all the time realizing that there are other people who are doing great things too.  That's God's plan.  If He has great things planned for me, then He has to have great things planned for others too!  It's not a monetary system where there is only so much to go around.
      We don't really have to be better than anyone else; because in God's economy that's not how it works.  He really does set it up where we are really only competing against ourselves.
      "Here's the job I have for you. Did you do it?"
      "Here's the talents you have.  Are you using them?"
      "Here's the situations you were in today.  How did you handle them?"
      "Here's the people I put in your path.  What did you do with them?"
      I loved when he talked about having people give the glory to God.  I don't exactly know how that would work.  I'm trying to think of a time that I did something and somebody said, "God is so good!"  Yeah, I guess that is a good example.  The Boys from Durham.  I can't remember them saying anything great about me or being impressed with my personality or who I was.  But, some of them started reading the Bible, going to church, moving toward God.  I just showed up and great things happened.  Actually, as I look at the race.  I didn't do anything huge.  No one said, "Wow, Tony what a great job!"  But, a lot of people said, "That race was awesome!"
      Doing things in such a way that the praise doesn't come to you, but that it goes toward the greater good.  The end goal is that John 10:10 would happen - not that we are looked at as awesome.  Meekness.  Wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment