Monday, January 20, 2014

MY THOUGHTS ON RICHARD SHERMAN

     I don't like dress shirts.  They don't say anything about the person wearing them.  Give me a Bears jersey, a Coke shirt, a Madison Bulldogs hoodie.  That tells you something about me.  I went to a party on Saturday - everyone had a dress shirt on.  It wasn't like I was going up to someone and saying, "Oh,  I see you like stripes."
     Along comes Richard Sherman.  It's one of the biggest plays of his life, he makes a great play….and then let's everyone know he made a great play.  Could I have done without the choke sign? Yes.  Would I want my daughters or players to say that after the game? No!  Did I kind of enjoy it and hope to see more of it in the next two weeks? YES!
      "The 49ers played great" - that's dress shirt.
      "My teammates made an excellent play" - dress shirt.
      "I thank God" - dress shirt.
       "That's what happens when you talk about me.  I shut you up real quick." - not dress shirt!
      We talked at church on Sunday about judging a person before you know their whole story.  Who knows what was being said on the field?  In fact, who knows anything about Richard Sherman?  And in a North Face jacket kind of world, someone that is different is interesting to me.
       And it's interesting to you too!  There were two teams that made a Super Bowl on Sunday.  One of them had a man throw for 400 yards and put himself into a spot to be the best QB ever!  Another had a fan base that has their own flag, get a chance to see their team take home the ultimate prize for the first time ever.  We saw Marshawn Lynch run hard, Doug Baldwin play the game of his life, Seattle go for it on 4th and 7, the Denver D stop a to-point conversion, and after 6 hours of one of the greatest days of football - everyone is talking about 6 minutes after the games were over.
     Weird, isn't it?  How much we care about something that doesn't matter.  That's because it's interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment