Friday, January 10, 2014

IT''S MY JOB!

In the book of  Esther,  there's this little passage  that I don't remember reading before (which shocked me because I think I've read through the whole Bible - old age, I guess).  But it talked about women respecting their husbands - YES!  And then it talks about how men should  be the ruler of their household.
     Now, back  in my Bible Belt days, there was a lot of talk about this kind of  thing.  It usually went like this - "The man makes all the decisions in the house!  The woman just does whatever the huband says.  The husband is in charge and the wife just follows him."  A lot of the conversation put the man on top of a pedestal while the wife was left cleaning and providing food for that pedestal.
     I'm  not really about that!  In fact, as I read this today,  I wonder if God is trying to teach us something different; because in this passage it ends "in his own language."  I just got the sense after reading this morning that being "head of the household" just means (in the words of Coach T) "Do Your Job!"
      If your kid needs to learn a little humility - DO YOUR JOB!  If your family needs money - DO YOUR JOB!  If your wife needs more time from you - DO YOUR JOB!  If your house needs to be  cleaned - DO YOUR JOB!  If there's a tough decision that needs to  be  made about school or friends - DO YOUR JOB!  
     As a husband and a father, I think God is saying that our family is our responsibility.  If it needs something, DO IT!  Take that on yourself.   Does that mean the wife is not responsible for anything?  It doesn't really matter; because as the husband / father it's my responsibility to DO MY JOB!

No comments:

Post a Comment