Friday, February 10, 2012

RAMBO MIGHT NOT HAVE HAD IT FIGURED OUT!

You say, "I am not allowed to do anything" - but everything is good for you.  You say, "I am allowed to do anything" - but not everything is beneficial.  Don't be concerned for your own good but for the good of others.  1 Corinthians 10:23-24

     Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I was reading this and thinking, "What the...."  Those first two lines make no sense whatsoever.  I know God has a pretty good idea on grammar, but I don't get.  So, let's do what all great readers do, and SKIP IT!  
     Now, that second part, I get it!  Think about what is good for others.  Whatever you do, ask this, "How is it going to affect others?"
     Whoa!  That's a little revolutionary.  In our world that loves the song, "I Did it My Way" - we might actually think about what others need before ourselves.  In our world that values the independent, powerful, confident (which oftentimes just means selfish), and individualistic - God is saying "NO!"  It's about community, empathy, selflessness.
     Challenge:  Go through the day with this lens: What do the people around me need?  

No comments:

Post a Comment